THE MILLS OF MOISSAC
In the Middle-Ages, the water of the Tarn belonged to the abbey. The right to built a mill for the nobility or the middle classes was under the jurisdiction of the Monastery. From the mouth of the river Garonne to the village of Lizac, 9 mills existed, even if they were not all working at the same time.
THE MILL OF BIDOUNET
The Mill of Paoux, named after the noble lady who owned it in 1342 changed owners several times. Rebuilt in the 15th century by Bernard Delpech with two millstones, it was then sold to the de Lion family. Marie de Lion, Dame de Bidounet, left her name to the actual Milli.
Starting as a mill with 9 millstones in the 19th century to become a power plant in the 20th century.
The mill is also famed for being the birth place of Firmin Bouisset (1859-1925). This artist is first known as an illustrator of children’s books. But it is as an emblematic poster designer that he is remembered, inter alia, the Little Girl for Chocolat Menier, 1892, and the Little Schoolboy for LU biscuits, 1897. The characters he has created, inspired by his own children, are, still today, part of our heritage and popular imagery.
The campsite « Moulin de Bidonnet » has been situated on the eponimous island for the last twenty years. Rooms dedicated to WIFI and the Children’club are situated on the ground floor of the mill.
THE MILL OF MOISSAC
Built by the Ricard brothers at the end of the Middle Age with 4 millstones. Enlarged in the XVIIIth century, it is a sizeable institution with fuller, stable, forge, accomodation, storage for hay, wood, flour …… Modernised in the 19th century it became one of the main flour mill in the south-west of France until it burnt down in 1916.
In the 30s, Moissac promoted a cure based on its famous Chasselas grape, thus the need for an hotel of standing to welcome the guests, the Mill is chosen, restaured in the Art Deco style. In addition a marina, a beach, a swimming pool and a casino were planned ….. the Second World War put an end to this project.
From 1944 to 1951, the Mill housed Jewish child refugees. In 1965, a hotel chain bought the building and refurbished it in a more regionalist style. Today, it is a cosy 3 star hotel with spa and restaurant called : Le Moulin de Moissac